New Student Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Can I miss any classes?

State of WA rules say that all missed classes must be made up within the 4 month course completion time frame or the course will need to be repeated.

What‘s included in a Driver’s Ed course?

Driver’s Ed course at Xcelerate is made up of 15 classes (30 hours instruction, 4 hours of ZED drive simulation practice), 5 one-hour behind the wheel drives in our school vehicle with an instructor outside of classroom time, 1 hour of observation time (student sits in the backseat and observes another student driver) and 1 state Written Knowledge Test. (if student does not pass the first time, we charge $10 for an additional attempt)

What about the Driving Test?

The test can be taken with us if you choose; we charge $40 for Xcelerate students. Use of one of our cars is an option for no extra charge.

What is the minimum age to start Driver’s Ed?

Students must be 15 years old by the first day of class that they attend.

Permit Info

What is a state of WA ID/WDL#? Why do I need it and how do I get it?

This # is the number issued to you by the state of WA that follows you through your licensing process; it becomes your permit # and then your driver’s license #. It is 12 digits long.  This number will be in one of the following formats:

1)  Starting with the first 5 (five) letters of your last name, ex:  LASTNFN123AB

2)  Starting with the letters WDL, ex:  WDLABCD123YZ.

Some customers already have a WA State ID card (usually obtained for use as ID when traveling out of the country.) If so, the PIC # from that card is the number that we need. (It will also be one of the two formats above)

If you do not have an ID card with this number, you will need to “Pre-Apply” on the state of WA Dept of Licensing website. (There is a yellow button on top of the homepage of our website that says “Click HERE to Pre-Apply for a WDL#”). Here is a link as well:  This process takes about 10 minutes.  PRINT your Pre-Application document and put in a safe place.  You will need to bring this document to the DOL with you at permit time.

We will need this number in order for you to register for a Driver’s Ed course.

When can I get my permit?

You must be 15 years old and register (and pay) for a course.  The soonest you will be able to get your permit is 10 days before your course begins.

Do I get my permit from Xcelerate?

Only a state of WA DOL office can issue permits and licenses. The driving schools supply the DOL with waivers and test scores. Parent and student will need to go to the nearest DOL office together to obtain the permit.

Do I need my permit by the first class?

We request that you have your permit by no later than the 3rd classroom session in order to keep up with the course timeline.

Registration and Payment

How do I register for a course?

You can register on the location schedule pages above. (Bothell: purple buttons, Kirkland: red buttons)

How do I sign up with a friend to get the discount?

There is a spot during registration that asks you for the names of your friends. Make sure all friends note each other’s names. Sign-up with a friend fees are valid only if the friend(s) are signing up for a course beginning in the same calendar month and names are mentioned during the registration process. If the friend does not end up registering, we will need to bill you for the difference. If a friend signs up after you have registered, we will refund you the difference.

Who qualifies for the Sibling Rate?

Any student whose sibling went through our program previously and/or any 2 or more siblings signing up at the same time.

Do you offer a payment plan?

Payment arrangements can be made with our office by emailing or calling 425-415-7775.

What is your refund policy?

If you decide to cancel your enrollment prior to the first day of class we will provide a full refund. If you decide to cancel your enrollment within the 1st week of class and prior to the 3rd week of class, only 50% of tuition will be refunded. No refund if a permit waiver has been issued. Any monies not refunded can be put toward a different course in the future.