DOL has approved issuance of Instruction Permits online!
BEFORE you start the process of obtaining the Instruction Permit:
1) Your pre-application print out is NOT your permit. The printed receipt of payment for the permit is NOT the permit. Please make make sure you print out the temporary paper permit. Click HERE to see an example.
2) This is a Non-Photo permit. It works the same as a permit with photo for driving. (you cannot use it as a form of picture ID) Since there will be no photo on the permit, you will need to go to a DOL office when it’s time to get the actual Driver’s License.
3) Your student can drive with the temporary paper permit! They MUST have this paper with them AT ALL TIMES while driving! (A screenshot is not legal to drive with!) Click HERE to see an example. This temporary permit has an expiration date, please keep track of that date closely! If you have not received the plastic permit in the mail by the time this paper document expires, your student cannot continue driving and you’ll need to contact the DOL.
4) If your student’s classes have not started yet, you will be getting a “permit waiver update” email 2 weeks before your class starts with info on how/when to obtain the permit. (The soonest that the state allows is 10 days before class starts.)
Steps to obtain the Instruction Permit:
1) Log into your student’s License eXpress account.
2) Find the option: “Get your instruction permit”.
3) Follow the prompts!