DOL has approved issuance of Instruction Permits online!
BEFORE you start the process of obtaining the Instruction Permit:
1) Your pre-application print out is NOT your permit. The printed receipt of payment for the permit is NOT the permit. Please make make sure you print out the temporary paper permit. Click HERE to see an example.
2) This is a Non-Photo permit. It works the same as a permit with photo for driving. (you cannot use it as a form of picture ID) Since there will be no photo on the permit, you will need to go to a DOL office when it’s time to get the actual Driver’s License.
3) Your student can drive with the temporary paper permit! They MUST have this paper with them AT ALL TIMES while driving! (A screenshot is not legal to drive with!) Click HERE to see an example. This temporary permit has an expiration date, please keep track of that date closely! If you have not received the plastic permit in the mail by the time this paper document expires, your student cannot continue driving and you’ll need to contact the DOL.
4) If your student’s classes have not started yet, you will be getting a “permit waiver update” email 2 weeks before your class starts with info on how/when to obtain the permit. (The soonest that the state allows is 10 days before class starts.)
Steps to obtain the Instruction Permit:
1) Log into your student’s License eXpress account.
2) Find the option: “Get your instruction permit”.
3) Follow the prompts!
Here is a link to License eXpress
HOW TO GET YOUR DRIVER’s LICENSE
To qualify for their Driver’s License:
1) Complete a Driver’s Ed course **
2) Pass the DOL Written Test **
3) Pass the DOL Driving Test **
4) Be 16 years old
5) Have had permit for at least 6 months
6) Complete 50 hours (10 at night) of driving practice ++
** Xcelerate will enter this info into the student’s DOL record.
++ Parent will verify verbally during the driver’s license application process, either online (see below) or at the DOL office.
When these requirements are met, it’s time to apply for their Driver’s License through the DOL:
If your student has his/her picture on their permit, you can apply for the license by logging into their DOL License eXpress account.** There is a chance that it will not work online for you, If that is the case for your student, you will need to visit a DOL office instead. If you have questions as to why the online process is not working, you will need to contact the DOL directly for assistance. Some students have run into a message on the DOL site during the process that they need to go into a DOL office to get a vision check. This requirement can be waived in some instances. You will need to CALL the DOL and ask for this to be done. Also, if you want to apply at 12:01am on your student’s birthday or the 6 month date that they qualify, be warned! The DOL system does not “wake up” until around 6am, so it won’t work until then 🙂
If your student does NOT have their picture on their permit, you will need to visit a DOL office in person.** You will need to make an appt. At this time they are a month or so out, so keep that in mind. You will need to bring all the documents that you chose when you first pre-applied for the permit. If you don’t have your printed pre-application, you can print another copy from your student’s License eXpress account. If you have any questions about proof of identity, you can find that info on the DOL site or contact the DOL directly for assistance.